Re: Lucas/PO strikes once more

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, brucec@amex-trs.com
Subject: Re: Lucas/PO strikes once more
From: Teriann J. Wakeman <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 92 09:30:31 -0700
Bruce,
A corroded connector introduces resistance to the circuit. Tesulting in lower
voltage past the "resistor" and lower current flow in the circuit. This
translates to whatever is downstream of the corroded connection not working
of dim/'low.

A short circuit on the other hand, creates a gound path part way along your
wiring harness.  This bipasses a part of the circuit that normally provides
most of a circuit's resistance such as lights.  A short would allow a much
higher than normal current flow through the upstream part of the circuit and
little current to flow down stream.  The usual symtoms are Dim/low whatever
load is downstream, smoke, overheated/melting insulation of whatever parts
of the circuit is upstream of the short.

I would suggest looking for a break in your car's insulation system. To
make things even more fun, It could be the short is not in the steering
column. A circuit that goes into then out of the steering column could
have a short downstream of the steering column.

Me, I would run a visual inspection of every circuit that goes through the
steering column. That means following the harness to the light, guage or
sender.  I do not know about the year of your B, but my '68 B used metal
tye wraps.  Where the harness bends under the body, by the starter motor,
the metal tie wraps scraped through the insulation on the harness and melted
the insulation off many of the wires at that point.

TeriAnn