Araldite / Oil

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Araldite / Oil
From: asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Adrian Jefferies)
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 92 10:18:37 BST
Hi Folks,

1) Whats the solvent for araldite?

   Why? well ........
   The needle locking screw in the piston of one of the SU carbs of my TR4
   had been mangled by a previous owner, and could not be moved more than
   1/8 turn. The needle tended to fall out occasionally. Well no problem,
   I'll get my uncle, a very skilled craftsman, to either get the
   screw out, or drill it out & tap a new thread. Alas, he misunderstood me
   and has managed to tighten the needle right up & has locked it all in with
   Araldite .... My uncle is 84, and very very sharp - my fault for not being
   clear enough.

2) A small point: I wonder if all you people might be using oil of too light
   a weight? The engines of our cars (well, I can only be certain about
   the olders TRs) were originally designed for heavier oils. I'm not
   an authority on this subject, it just crossed my mind when I read about
   overcooking cars queueing for a car show in California recently.
   [ I used to live in Mountain View btw.]

   Many thanks,
   Adrian Jefferies
   asj@dsbcl.icl.co.uk