PCV valve question

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: PCV valve question
From: ian@Centric.COM (Ian Macky)
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 92 21:13:17 PDT
Hi again...

I'm still seeking enlightenment.  Today's question is about the PCV valve.

Alas, neither of my books discusses functionality, and the Hayne is even
missing the section about it altogether, a publication error (#17 is just
plain gawn, not there at all).  Neither one shows a PCV setup like mine
anyway.  The circuit is thus:

        valve cover
             |              Pressurized blowby exits the valve cover and
             v              goes into a T.  One leg goes to the PCV, the
             |              other into the air cleaner (but through a
             +-->--PCV      restrictor).  'v' and '>' show direction of
             |              flow...
        air cleaner

So, some questions:

    1. Howzit supposed to work?
    2. What's normal pressure out the valve cover?
    3. Since there's a constriction (small, like 2-3mm) in the air cleaner
       inlet pipe, removing the air cleaner removes the constriction.
       This changes the behavior, so how're you supposed to sync the carbs
       and so on with it off?

Other progress:
    Got the car back from body shop, getting some rust fixed.
    Stripped the interior, primered and painted it.
    The new fluffy stuff goes in next.

So all that's left is to make it run right.  Still haven't recovered from my
CD-rebuilding foray...

--ian