re: The Queen Marys' maiden voyage...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: re: The Queen Marys' maiden voyage...
From: Cory Carpenter <coryc@sequent.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 92 10:33:55 -0700
mikej writes:

        :

>As to MYROPA.  It came back from the machanic
>last night.  The outer bearing in the left rear
>hub carrier was in 3 pieces.  We replaced the
>bearings and the carrier.

Ouch!  Yeah, I could see that making some noise... .   8^/

>                           Looks like we have a
>little previous owner syndrome here.  After hot-
>tanking the hub we find hammer marks.  Looks like
>an attempt to remove the hub sans hub puller.  It
>may have warped it.  This may be causing the run-
>out at the wheel.  I will have to tell Tim (new
>owner) what we found.

I'd call that inexcusable!  (OK, OK, so it was F.O.S. -- nothing's too
outrageous.  Reminds me of the TTL-level electrikludge system in
Phil's Europa.)

Granted the specified puller is probably only available as a "special
tool" from the factory, but it wasn't too difficult to kludge up an
alternative using part of my big three-jaw wheel puller and some heavy
welded-link chain.  In fact, I'm surprised that the hub carrier wasn't
cracked if the guy was pounding on it:  I was pretty amazed at how thin
those castings are.

>                       As the book I was reading
>last night says "when buying a used Lotus the
>only thing to be sure about is you will not be
>able to find all the problems before purchase."

Amen!

-coryc