Engine painting...

To: british-cars%hoosier.cs.utah.edu@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Engine painting...
From: paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scotty Paisley)
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 92 10:23:49 EDT
Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CU.NIH.GOV writes:

 >    As far as painting an engine goes: is it easier to paint the parts
 > when the engine is apart, or to wait until its all back together ?  Does
 > the engine paint go right onto the clean block, or does it need
 > primered?

I didn't prime mine, I just used the engine paint onto a clean block.
My block, head, waterpump, and other stuff that I wanted to be glossy
black I assembled before painting.  The distributor and other junk was
left off until the paint dried.  I also used vaseline on the parts I
didn't want painted.  For example, I stuffed some paper in the exhaust
and intake ports on the heads, and then smeared the vaseline on the
flat surface where the manifolds mount up.  Worked great, and alot
easier than masking everything.

 > How does a gearbox work anyway ?

"Nobody knows how transmissions work, or even where they came from.
They just arrived at car factories in unmarked crates.  The people at
the car factories put them in their cars.  Many people believe the
transmission was created by beings in other solar systems.  There is
evidence to support this - mainly transmission manuals which contain
bizarre diagrams and deranged alien commands."

-paraphrased from "The Washington Post"
---

"All the parts falling off this car are of the very finest British
manufacture"

-Scott