Re: TR-250 semi-trailing arm

To: dbrady@synoptics.com
Subject: Re: TR-250 semi-trailing arm
From: rgb@hal.com (Roger Bolick)
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 92 08:44:12 CDT
>new shocks, bushings, and springs

I believe?? the 250 has the same problem as the early 6's in that
multiple springs types were used and TRF ships a single generic
replacement which is NOT the correct height for the 250 and early 6.
You might compare the part numbers to later 6's in the catalog to
verify this.  Other vendors, i.e. MOSS, describe the early 6 spring
as no longer available.  In mid '71 it seems the entire geometry of
the rear was changed and the springs sold are for this version or
later.

I contacted TRF about this several times and they never admitted
their mistake.  I am still running the later HD springs (don't buy
the HD either) on a '70 TR6 and it doesn't handle well.

You should also have a 4 wheel alignment done (bring 10 each front,
rear shims) to straighten it out as you have changed the rear
alignement.  This might fix the problem if the above isn't true.

Usually you can actually "see" the problem by sighting down the
rear fender and viewing from 20' rear of the car.  After proper
alignment you shouldn't be able to "see" the toe-in and the
tires should sit flat with the car "unloaded", tops slightly tilted
inward when loaded.

My '70 looks like a VW bug with no engine even after 1 year of
"settling" and only sits flat with 2 persons on board.  Also rides
too rough for city streets!

I am going to try "tired" later model springs as a fix in a couple
of weeks, this seems like it should work great, I'll let you know.
Another TRF suggested fix is to replace all the brackets with later
model ones, but this is alot of expense and work for nothing.

Roger