RE: Jensen-Healey GT Part II

To: british-cars%hoosier.cs.utah.edu@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: RE: Jensen-Healey GT Part II
From: Nelson Yaple <Nelson_Yaple@ccm.hf.intel.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 92 15:24:14 PST
>f Getreibe means Gearbox, does reibe mean box?

>>GetrAG's most famous client is probably BMW, and I'd be very suprised
>          if the 5-speed in the Jensen-Healey isn't the same as the
>          ones used in the small-body 4-cyl BMWs (2002, 320i) of that
>          era.

>Nelson Yaple has the same engine in his Lotus Elite, and I am quite sure
>          he described its gearbox as a BMW unit.

          I wish it was a Getrag, unfortunately it is a Lotus home
          brew based on the Austin Maxi Gears.  From all accounts it
          was a pretty lame idea.  I have been researching a possible
          replacement, to no avail.  One major problem is getting a
          tranny to fit into the very cramped frame.  Without some
          major rube goldberg linkage it would not be possible.  So I
          will probably rebuild my original tranny  and hope for the
          best.  Later Elite 2.2's used a Getrag box from the BMW 2002
          tii touring car, but the cheapest price I've found on the
          box with the necessay bits is $3500 (almost more than
          the car is worth).

          Nelson.