Re: British Cars Digest #419 Mon Apr 13 01:15:01 MDT 1992

To: Marky Mark <mckillnm@unix2.tcd.ie>
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #419 Mon Apr 13 01:15:01 MDT 1992
From: dixon@fourfold.pc.ocunix.on.ca (dixon kenner)
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1992 21:49:22 -0400
Marky Mark <mckillnm@unix2.tcd.ie> writes:

>       I was woundering if any one has done this job (replacing the seal) and
> approx what sort of time is it going to take ?? And do you have any tips for
> the job ?

I've done it.  To start, if you are going to replace the oil seal, you might
as well do a few other things while you are at it.  (Isn't this always the
case <grin>)

There are two approaches.  One is to disconnect the engine mounts on the
clutch side and lever up the engine to get at everything.  The other is
to pull the engine.  I did the later of the two for a couple of reasons.
First, getting at these bolts isn't much fun.  Once out, I figured that
it was a good time to replace the mounts which were not in the greatest of
shape.  Second, it allowed me unobstructed access to the engine bay for
other work.

Of course, pulling the engine is going to take more time, than just levering
it into position.  It is you call.  How much else can you do by either method.
Assuming you are going to be lazy :-) here are the steps to follow...

Tools:  Jack, flywheel puller (I used a sledge hammer and watched it fly...),
various screwdrivers, open-ended spanners and sockets.

1.      Remove any air ducting where it runs along the right side of the
        engine bay, and then remove anything else that might be in the way.

        Remove the starter motor.

        Undo the right-hand engine mounting bolts from beneath the car and
        jack up that end of the engine.  Depending on the year, you may
        have to remove the radiator cowl to engine support bracket.  This
        is true for earlier models.

2.      Nine bolts hold the flywheel housing cover in place.  Remove them
        as well as disconnecting the clutch slave cylinder pushrod.

3.      Take out the circlip holding the release bearing thrust plate in
        place (you will probably want to replace this while you have the
        chance)

4.      Remove the three bolts holding the pressure plate in place.

5.      Remove the flywheel. (have fun here, and remember, it has to go
        back on)  Pull the clutch plate off of its splines.

6.      With the old clutch removed, you might as well examine it for wear,
        check the steel faces for cracking, wear.  (You could take this
        opportunity to lighten it)

7.      Claw the old oil seal out and replace it with a new one.  Take care
        in putting it into place as it must be seated evenly all the way
        around.  The seal is delicate and is easily damaged.  It must be
        fitted evenly with no twisting.  Tape over the primary gear splines
        to stop them damaging the new oil seal.

8.      Reverse the process and put it back together...

Have fun!

Rgds,

Dixon
--
dixon kenner, dixon@fourfold.pc.ocunix.on.ca
FourFold Symmetry, Breckenridge, Quebec, Canada