Re: From the net: bugeye for sale

To: DANIELS@LMSBVX.TAMU.EDU (Lee Daniels/TAMU-LMSB Systems)
Subject: Re: From the net: bugeye for sale
From: pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@medtron.medtronic.COM (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 92 15:58:18 CDT
Lee Daniels writes \

\F.Y.I. - saw this on Usenet today - just passing it along...

\>For Sale:
\>1959 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite
\>Asking $5000
\>The car's body is in perfect condition.  Has been kept in
\>storage for 6 years.  (Ran perfectly at the time.)  Needs work
\>by this time.  (Clutch, brakes, battery.)
\>
\>If interested, reply via-E-mail, or call David at 216-343-3564.

Seems a typical price these days.

Wait until you hear this one!  Coming home from the autocross school Saturday
night, I was driving through an upscale neighborhood when I spied a pretty
ordinary-looking rubber-bumper Spridget for sale.  I knocked, but there was
no one home.  I left a card on the windscreen hoping to get a call that night.
I was going to suggest that they bring the car to the autocross the next day to
show it off.  Well, they did not see my card until today.  The lady called me
at work today.  She says it is a 1976 with less than 30,000 miles on it.  She
says they are asking $5500 for it.  I told her that seemed a bit high, as the
rubber-bumper cars were not as sought after.  She seemed quite offended by this
and informed me that they had been offered $6800 last year by "a collector".
I told her (nicely, honest!) that they should find this person again.  I gave
her the number of Mark Brandow of Quality Coaches in Minneapolis and told her
that he could help her appraise and market it.

I did not even take her number, as I doubt that anyone on this list would pay
over five grand for a Spitfidget.  Let me know if I am off-base here.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN  55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105     lotus@pnet51.orb.mn.org
w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov  (list goes here)
"The workingman's GT-40" - Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman

--
Login name: phile                       In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324