Re: Redcar rolls again, but my Panhard still doesn't fit !

To: DSTONE@SC9.intel.com (Daren Stone, D2 IE, 5-9521, bpr:237-2322, RN2-C6)
Subject: Re: Redcar rolls again, but my Panhard still doesn't fit !
From: medtron!pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@uunet.UU.NET (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 92 13:01:57 CST
Daren Stone writes >

>     Ironically enough, Phil quoted almost
>     exactly what the guy @ Winner's Circle said when I
>     mentioned the conflict with the parking brake; "It's a
>     race car, you don't NEED a parking brake"

Ironically, hell.  Where did you think I heard it?  :-)

>     I want my parking brake.

At first I was going to take mine out.  But it actually worked.  I was so
stunned at how well it worked with no maintenance or use by me for over a year,
I just couldn't bring myself to remove it.  The Mighty K-wagon is only 8 years
old, and I would have to replace a bunch of stuff to get the parking brake to
work again.  It goes on just fine, but you have to reach under the car to take
it off again.  Great design, Mr. I!

Canterbury Downs, where more and more of our events are held, often has an
uphill marshaling line.  I will try to retain the parking brake on the Lotus.

>     if the bar is bolted to the spring perch and
>     then the opposite end attached to the mount, the mount
>     must be installed several inches over from where it
>     indicates, and NONE of the pre-drilled mounting holes
>     line up with the gas-tank mount studs.

If it clears everything, just bite the bullet and drill new holes in the mount
to pass the tank studs it encounters and drill holes in the body for the mount
holes that are not near the tank.  You have my sympathy for getting those bolts
on inside the non-opening trunk.  The Spridget was obviously much easier.

Maybe your car has an odd gas tank.  Hang in there.  This device is worth it.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN  55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105     lotus@pnet51.orb.mn.org
w (612) 298-5324     phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov  (list goes here)
"The workingman's GT-40" - Anthony Colin Bruce Chapman

--
Login name: phile                       In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324