More on Junker Bills

To: hoosier.utah.edu!british-cars
Subject: More on Junker Bills
From: jeb@mtqub.att.com
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 92 12:54 EST
Some more thoughts and a smattering of data on the subject of Junker
Bills:  It seems like there are many versions of the same basic
idea floating around.  Congress has one idea, Bush has at least
one different idea.  Here's a clipping from the latest (3/23)
issue of Autoweek.  It is from a short article examining the
attitudes of the major candidates for the presidential nominations
this year.  Bush was speaking at Detroit's Economic Club.

". . . there had been talk that the president would go a step further
and roll back CAFE.  He also was expected to comment on a proposed
Senate bill that would allow consumers to take $10,000 from
Individual Retirement Accounts and use the money to buy a new
car.  He was supposed to mention the so-called junker car rule,
under which owners of older cars could turn them in for a
$700-$1,000 tax credit.  He addressed none of those issues."

Wow, a tax credit!  Wouldn't that be nice!  But surely they
would want some restriction on it, to prevent me from applying
the money to purchasing a nice new Miata.  And of course
there arises the problem of whether it should apply to an Ohio
Honda, or a Canadian Jeep.  Probably never happen.  And if
it did, I can tell you what kind of "junker" I would be turning
in for the credit - my 1971 Plymouth Duster.  Anybody offers me
a thou for that heap can have the keys right now.  (Actually,
they'd be getting a reasonable bargain in terms of transportation
per buck.)  I don't think many people would be turning in their
LBCs for a program like this.  The easiest old heap to get
running long enough to qualify for the program will always be
a twenty-year-old Detroit sedan.  There's a mid-sixties Olds
Cutlass advertised on the bulletin board downstairs for $350.
A perfect candidate.

Jim Beckman   AT&T, Middletown, NJ    att!mtqub!jeb