MGB GT V8's and TR8's and ECU's

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: MGB GT V8's and TR8's and ECU's
From: jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (James TenCate)
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 92 10:47:33 -0600
Wow.  Just read Scott's discussion.  Personally, I'd like to have both,
the MGB GT V8 and the TR8.  Hmmm, I already have a TR8, but, as Scott
notes, you could MAKE your own MGB GT V8 a lot cheaper.   Actually,
I'd like to collect anything that had the Rover V8 in it.  That would include
the Rover SD1 (3500) and actually a LOT of the Rover family, Morgan Plus 8,
a few TVR's, maybe even a Marcos Spyder.  The interesting part is I could
get a GREAT start on my collection with $45000!  Anyway, the reason
I wrote is because of the following:

>                                              TR8
>
>    Engine, Rover 3.9 L V8           Engine, Rover 3.5 L. V8
>
>And on the one hand, the 3.9 will have electronically controlled, mass-
>air-flow-sensor driven fuel injection.  On the other, it'll be managed
>by a Lucas microprocessor...

Actually, about 400 of the 2500 or so TR8's made had Bosch L-Jetronic
(air-flow meter instead of air-mass sensor) injection.  That's roughly
1/5 of total TR8 production.  It works very well.  However, as
Scott notes, the microprocessor is Lucas.  Guess what the latest big
discussions in the TR8 Car Club newsletters are about?  You guessed it.
Dead or dying computers.  Lucas refuses to release schematics too.  Brand
new ones can be found for $1700.  You can get a rebuild for only $700
(with core).  You can send it to a guy in California who MAY be able to
fix it for $325.  Sheesh.  OK, OK, I'll get to the point.

If you know of anyone with a TR8/Rover 3500 that's having trouble with
their computer, have them contact me or the TR8 Car Club.  The club's
"research" department (along with a lot of help from lots of folks)
has come up with a simple "fix" which will likely cure 75% of the problems
out there.  The solution:  Resolder the 3 power transistor leads.
More details in the next TR8 CCA newsletter (and likely one of the next
VTR magazines too).

This public service announcement brought to you by:

Jim TenCate and the number 8 :-)
TR8CCA
jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

PS:  Does anyone have the address of the newly former Rover Club here in
the US?  I don't remember the exact name...