Re: Restoring Gas tanks and frames.

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: Restoring Gas tanks and frames.
From: btufts@keps.kodak.com (Bob Tufts)
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 92 15:29:35 EST

I know you can get new galvanized frames for New Elites and all Eclats and
Esprits. I was at Lotus '89 in the UK and saw that Spyder also makes an Eclat/
Elite tube frame. They had a Rover 3.5L engine in one as a rolling chassis
display. Sorry, don't remember the cost. Sadly Spyder has no intention of
making an Early Esprit replacement. Not that I need one now (hardly have a
spec of rust on mine), but if they did come out with one it would surely be
like the Europa replacement with upper & lower rear wishbones (vs the stressed
driveshaft method of original Europas & Esprits). That chassis would definitely
be a great improvement to eliminating the "tuning fork" resonance of the engine
through the backbone chassis. (not to mention improve handling and greatly
extend the life of stub axle bearings!).

-Bob T.