Re: Cool it!, and other engine topics.

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: Cool it!, and other engine topics.
From: djd@aurora.arc.nasa.gov (Daniel J. Dasaro)
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 92 09:59:48 -0800
Roger Garnett writes:

>Modern petrol does not contain lead. Standard seats will last reasonably
>under mild, or occasional use. Under high heat conditions, such as
>heavy load, or continous high RPM, the valves can recede rapidly.

>An older truck used for towing for example, will waste unhardened
>valves/seats in no time. The only guarrenteed fix is modern materials-
>installing hardened seats. Which will last better than un-hardened
>*with* lead!

>When you need do do any head work- valves, or grind the seats- go with
>hardened seats.

Monetarily speaking, this is not a major investment.  At least on my MGB
engine, it was only another $36 to get hardened seats.  So why not?

As for oil and breakin, I think the bad seals on my carb had a lot to do
with the smoking, I'm not running Castrol now but I'll switch back to it
in another 500 miles or so.  I don't think my available data allows for
a conclusion one way or another (and no, I don't want to switch to
Castrol now to find out if it causes problems :-).

-Dan Dasaro