Re: Ohio emissions law changes proposed

To: whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com, british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: Ohio emissions law changes proposed
From: bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones)
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 92 10:10:48 EST
From: whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)

|>     BILL TO EXTEND OHIO EMISSION TESTING TO 1968 AUTOS
|>
|>                 by Jack Colegrove, Lotus Club
|>
|> A bill to extend the Ohio emissions testing program to include
|> autos as old as 1968 models has been introduced by Sen. Gary
|> Suhadolnik (R-24) of Parma Heights.  The current testing
|> program only includes vehicles manufactured in 1975 and newer.
|> The bill, which includes 15 additional counties in the testing
|> program, may be passed by the Ohio Senate by the end of
|> January and by the House by the end of February.

I've done a little checking on this bill.  It is still a bill and not a law,
I'm pretty sure it is still in committee in the Senate and it hasn't made
it to the House yet.  For those of you who want to contact your state
senator or represtative, it is Ohio State Bill 245 and it will affect mainly
ORC 3704.14.  If it does pass, the date Suhadolnik wants the inspections
to start is July 1, 1993.  The bill's main purpose seems to be to expand
inspections to any county whose air quality has moderate, serious, severe,
or extreme nonattainment of the ozone or carbon monoxide levels prescribed
by the Clean Air Act Ammendments.

The inspections will include testing for HC and CO and a visual inspection
of the cars emmissions equipment to verify that it has not been tampered
with. (mine hasn't been tampered with, it's been removed by former owners.)

There is a waiver limit for the amount of expense to get your car fixed.
For cars '68-'80 that limit is $100 in counties with moderate nonattainment.
For cars '80+ that limit is $200 in such counties.  In counties with serious
or worse nonattainment, the limit is $450 (I believe this is for all cars
tested.)  What this means is if it will cost more than the limit to get
your car fixed, you don't have to get it fixed.  This does not include the
amount of money required to restore tamperred or removed emmissions equipment.

>From what I have heard from people who live in counties that currently have
an inspection, it is not a very thorough check, but I would rather not risk it.
Also, it is not clear whether they care if all of your emmissions stuff is
in place if your car passes the emmisions test.  How do these tests work
for those of you who already have to get inspected?

Since here at Lexis (R) we have State Bill Tracking, I can follow this
bill's progress through the system and will update as I find out more.

Mark, I think your State Senator is Neal Zimmers and your State Rep. is
Robert Corbin.  They are both listed as 'Dayton'.  I have to find out
for sure if I am in their districts.

|> Standard Disclaimer- Any opinions, etc. are mine and NOT my employer's.
|> Bill Sohl (K2UNK) BELLCORE (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
|> Morristown, NJ             email via UUCP      bcr!dancer!whs70
|> 201-829-2879 Weekdays      email via Internet  whs70@dancer.cc.bellcore.com

Bob
bobj@meaddate.com

I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.  These opinions are mine and
not my employers.