Sticking clutch and storage

To: hoosier.utah.edu!british-cars
Subject: Sticking clutch and storage
From: jeb@mtqub.att.com
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 92 13:02 EST
I have an old American car (1950 Ford) that I used to keep in
storage most of the time.  I read somewhere that you should take
the pressure off the clutch plate to keep it from sticking, so
I always blocked the clutch pedal down with a piece of wood braced
against the back of the dashboard.  With hydraulic linkage, you
would have to block the lever at the clutch, either with a piece
of wood, or by holding the lever with wire.  The clutch never
stuck on the old Ford (but the valves did).

This has the disadvantage, I guess, of keeping the clutch pressure
plate springs compressed.  I don't know if this would weaken them
seriously or not.  Of course, the best thing to do is drive a car,
not store it.  Now that the Ford is in good shape and insured and
all, I try to drive it once or twice a month even during the winter.
I figure it wipes the rust off the brake drums and the flywheel.
BTW I completely rebuilt the brake system and filled with DOT 5.
I haven't had any problems at all, but I haven't had any reason to
open up a cylinder yet, either.

Jim Beckman   AT&T, Middletown, NJ     att!mtqub!jeb
[A-H 100 back on the road real-soon-now-I-promise]