Re: Gas Additives/smog check

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: Gas Additives/smog check
From: Geronimo x54903 page 951-3432 <GENDIMEN@T12SYS.intel.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 92 11:56:15 PST
Dickn sez:
|Which brings us to a question I've been wondering about:
|Could we get a boarder line car past a smog inspection by putting the
|right blend of ethanol and other things normally found in racing fuels
|in the gas. So it runs a lot cleaner and leaner at least for that
|-tank full.

I saw that procedure in some car magazine I can't recall.  I think they mixed
the fuel so it was 20% methanol(or ethanol).  It's supposed to work well if
your car runs
rich and you just want to lean it out for smog tests.  I think Gasohol is 10%
ethanol.  Beacon used to sell bulk ethanol in Santa Cruz, but I haven't seen it
lately.  De-natured alchahol would probably work just as well, since it's
ethanol with some additives so you can't drink it.

Mike G.