Gasloine, additives, and a good runing car

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Gasloine, additives, and a good runing car
From: brucec@amex-trs.com (Bruce Carter)
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 92 12:16:23 -0700
I need help drastically. After having moved here from Austin to Phoenix
and bringing my LBC ('77MGB). I am having problems with the stability of my
car running the same from one tank of gas to the next. Sometimes different
from one day or time of day to the next. Here in Az they either use MTBE
(what ever that is) or Ethanol. Well I tried the MTBE (as Daren Stone wrote
"Mean Time Between Explosions") which was terrible it actually reduces the
octane rating as far as I can tell. Then I switched to Ethanol. I thought it
was going to work great, because after a few miles and the car smoothed out
and ran great, until I parked it went back to work, and when I came out to go
home the car would hardly start. It smoked all the way home and ran real
rough. This morning I went to start it up for the morning warmup before
taking off and it was a little difficult to start but it did eventually
start. It appeared to run almost ok, until I took the choke off and went to
pull to pull out the car almost died. I ended up driving to work with the
choke on all the way to work. No smoke and no back-firing like I had
without the choke.

To aleviate some questions the carbs were just rebuilt and there was no
measurable play in the shafts, the distributor has no measuable play in it
either. It ran fine for the trip from Austin to here but when I started to
use Az gas on a regular basis I started having all of thses problems.

Any thought, suggestions, comments, or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance.

Bruce"Desperately needing an answer, so I can enjoy my LBC once again"Carter