Re: MGB Electrical Problem

To: srt@aero.org
Subject: Re: MGB Electrical Problem
From: pwv@tc.fluke.COM (Pat Vilbrandt)
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 93 13:56:12 PST
> From: Scott Turner <srt@sun-dimas.aero.org>
>
> Two questions: (1) is a 9mA leak worth worrying about?

Yes and no.  It would take somewhere over 6 months to completely discharge
your battery at 9 mA, but if you don't drive the car much (less than 1/week)
then it will reduce your battery's life.  I would worry about it, normal
or not, just to know what's causing it, but I'm wierd that way.

> (2) What do I do now to try to isolate the leak?

Suspect in order:  the alternator; the regulator; any horn/headlight/other
relay; any small lamp in some obscure place (i.e. the glovebox).

> The unfused components I know about are the starter and alternator.

Starter is highly unlikely.  (It would actually be the starter solenoid, but
that's unlikely too.)  By all means, check it after you've replaced the
alternator - it must be broken or else you wouldn't be replacing it??

   Pat Vilbrandt       John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.      Everett, Washington USA
UUCP: pwv@tc.fluke.COM  or: { uunet, uw-beaver, sun, microsoft }!fluke!pwv
ARPA: fluke!pwv@uw-beaver.ARPA

        "Can't wait until I get the car back into the condition I was
                 going to disassemble it to"
                                                        -TeriAnn J. Wakeman