On Evaporative Emissions

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: On Evaporative Emissions
From: Gregory T Fieldson <fieldson@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1993 23:38:38 -0500
About the Jaguar's fuel smell trick.

I realize that this has very little importance to an car in Oz, but here
in the US, the EPA has new rules for emission tests for cars (and trucks) in
communities where ozone and CO emissions present "serious air quality
problems" (basically most urban areas).  The new tests will include a check
of the function and integrity of evaporative emissions systems, in addition
to a 240 sec. emissions test which includes acceleration, cruise and
deceleration under load.  States have to present testing plans by 15 Nov
1993.  I imagine implementation will happen in '94.

All of which means that the expensive little bits for our lbcs are going
to become a little more popular.

If any one would like more on why evaporative emissions are worth chasing,
I can send more stuff extracted from "Environmental Science & Technology",
a leading, professional journal.  In a nutshell, though, an inventory of
pollutants in LA (in 1987 - most recent data available) reveals that 6.5% of
all anthropogenic hydrocarbons come from gas vapors(115 tons/day of 1780 tons
/day).  Also, fugitive vapors make up 16% of all HC's from gasoline and gas
engine exhaust.

Which is why the EPA wants us to check our cars.

Greg
fieldson@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu             Dept of Chemical Engineering
"When my Spitfire grows up, it's        The Johns Hopkins University
going to be a big Healey!"              Baltimore, Maryland  21218