Re: Temperature gauges and homebrewing

To: Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CU.NIH.GOV
Subject: Re: Temperature gauges and homebrewing
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 93 10:03:31 pst
> To: british-cars@autox.team.net
> From: Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CU.NIH.GOV
> Date:     Fri, 08 Jan 93  12:41:45 EST
> Subject:  Temperature gauges and homebrewing
>
> |Date: 1-8-93  12:36am
> |From: Dean Zywicki:dcrt:nih
> |  To: {british-cars@autox.team.net}:INTERNET
> |Subj: Temperature gauges and homebrewing

WARNING: No Brit (or any other type) car content!!

>    I have a question about temperature senders.  Do the temperature
> gauges in most LBC's, i.e. bourdon tube (I guess) running through a wire
> to a gauge, need a voltage source for anything.  What I'm really getting
> at is: could I stick the bourdon tube into a pot of water and get a
> reading on a gauge?  This is for one of my other hobbies: homebrewing.
> Any comments appreciated.

This seems very elaborate just to brew beer.  Why not use a regular old
swimming pool thermometer?

One other suggestion:  if you're doing top fermentation (room
temperature) brewing you can use an aquarium heater to maintain a
constant temperature.  Find an area around the house (garage, basement,
et cetera) where the temperature is lower than the level you want to
maintain and calibrate the heater by trial and error before starting.

Good brewing!

Roland