TR6 clutch master/slave repair

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 clutch master/slave repair
From: FLAKE_JOE/HPATC1_04%mailhub.cs.itc.hp.com@mailhub.cs.itc.hp.com
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 93 19:46:11 -0700
Did others take the holiday break as an excuse to take apart their
British toys?  My TR6 now sits in the garage, propped up on jackstands,
with all the hydraulic parts of the clutch removed.  I've seen the
various descriptions given here before on the "how to's" of the
process, but of course a few questions have come up during the
disassembly process.

The PO had spaced the slave cylinder back from its mounting bracket
about .25 inch (real kludge ... looks like a small aluminum pulley
under one bolt and 4 washers of various sizes under the other!).  Any
guesses why this might have been done?  Related to this, the arm on
the clutch operating shaft has three holes.  My slave cylinder
pushrod connected to the middle hole.  All the diagrams I've seen
(service books and various catalogs) all show connection to the
middle hole and I've seen no indication of IF/WHEN you would use
the top or bottom hole.

The PO had also added an assist (?) spring connecting from the
operating shaft towards the rear and attached to the frame (using
a piece of coat hanger!).  This is not a very strong spring but it
would take up any slack in the mechanism.  Perhaps just to stop a
rattle?  I know, I should have disconnected it and driven without
it to see what effect it had.

The inside of the master cylinder contained some of the nastiest
crud I've seen in a long time.  I'm going to try rebuild kits on
both master and slave -- although some opinions here have been that
the rebuild process is a waste of time and money.  We'll see.  It
had been switched to DOT5 at some point in the past but I'm going
to go back to DOT4.  Opinions seem to vary, and since I plan to do
a good bit of flushing to get any/all crud from the line the financial
differences start to kick in.  A quart of Castrol DOT4 was $6.xx at
PepBoys -- the last silicon DOT5 I bought was $23.xx!  Hurts when
you buy this to flush through a system and throw away.

A hint to others buying parts for this process.  Buy new clevis pins
when you're ordering parts.  I didn't.  Mine are nicely worn and now
I'll have to put in one of those agrivating little orders unless I
can get them locally (probably can, but still an extra hassle).

Two other unrelated comments.  Jim TenCole mentioned the TR2/3 article
in Classic and Sportscar (UK Mag).  I bought the magazine today and
just started reading the article.  It's good!  While at Atlanta
Imports (local Brit parts) last week, they told another customer that
the Haynes book for TR6 (and others?) was now out of print.  If you
don't have a copy you may wish to start searching before they're all
gone.  I have one and consider it to be a good reference.

Cheers,
Joe
joe_flake@hpatc1.desk.hp.com