New wood dash

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: New wood dash
From: spit@neuro.duke.edu (Michael D. Burdick)
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 91 09:15:43 EST
I am wondering if there was any reason why I shouldn't put a coat of
sealer or varnish on the edges and back side of my new dashboard.  It
is plywood with a hardwood veneer.  I noticed that the sides and back
are stained, but not otherwise finished.  The reason I'm thinking of
doing this is that most of the damaged dashes I've seen have either
delaminated or have rotted from the back side.  I'm thinking that if
I apply a sealer to the sides and top, I will increase the life of the
dash.  Am I missing something here?  Will sealing the whole thing cause
warpage and cracking?  Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike Burdick
spit@neuro.duke.edu

ps.  The dash is for a TR4A if that makes any difference.