re: Classic car auto insurance

To: augi@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
Subject: re: Classic car auto insurance
From: whs70@taichi.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 21 Oct 1991 13:49 EDT
>> Most classic coverage does allow for some types of driving other
>> than just parades or to car shows.  The allowed uses are usually
>> identified in a broad enough definition that lots of possibilities
>> exist.  On the other hand, most classic policies specifically
>> exclude driving to and from work, etc.
>
>That is exactly the problem.  Even though I wouldn't be driving daily
>to work in my classic, I certainly want to have the ability.  The JC
>Taylor limitations basically work out to only being able to drive it
>if you aren't actually trying to get somewhere.  :-(
>
>> Check out the other collector insurance carriers in any
>> issue of Hemmings Motor News also.  One significant point,
>> I don't think you'll qualify for classic coverage UNLESS
>> you can show that you have one or more other vehicles as
>> your regular transportation.
>
>State Farm in PA (at least according to the insurance agent) also
>specifically exluded driving to/from work.  I will look at Hemmings
>to see if anything else appropriate is offered.

Now, here's where a bit of "creative thinking" comes in.  If you
are ONLY going to sporadically drive your vehicle to work, there
are several good reasons to be doing so that should be acceptable.
This, of course, presumes something has happened AND you have
stated in an accident report that you were driving to or from
your place of employment.  Good reasons include going to a
auto club meeting after work, taking the car to be examined
for an estimate (new paint, some body or mechanical work, etc.),
taking the car to a friend's house to do some work on it.

The one thing I'd be especially wary of if I drove one of my
"classic policy" cars to work would be theft or damage in the
work parking lot.  I'd probably take out the coil wire and do
at least one other thing to make it difficult to steal.  I'd
NEVER just park it in a "general" public parking area.