Re: Frame on TR6

To: hoosier!british-cars@cs, Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CU.NIH.GOV
Subject: Re: Frame on TR6
From: ssi!coventry!rmb@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Bob Bownes)
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 91 10:27:45 CDT
->  If this makes any sense, it's the piece that is arrowed, the diagonal
->connection between the two main frame pieces.  The rust is at the two
->end points mainly.  How difficult is it for a frame shop to fix this.  I
->called two places and thay siad to first ask my Triumph dealer if those
->fram pieces were available.  I said thanks and hung up.  It looks like
->just a square piece of hollow metal.  Anyone had any experience with
->this type of problem :) .
->

        Makes perfect sense. It's the part that always rusts first.
The frame us composed of two pieces that are welded together like thus:

        ||      ||
        | ------ |
        |        |
        |        |
        ----------

And for some reason they rot really well in these back corners. Mine took
2 years to start to rot after being pristine when I bought it in Texas and then
moved to N.Y.

        The Good news is that it's easy to fix. The Bad news is that it's
only easy to fix with the frame off the car. It can be done with the frame
on the car, (and having the floor out makes it better BTW) But it's not what
you'd call easy. I'm doing one corner on mine this winter with the frame
on the car. But I'll do it by building up a new frame piece out of 2 u-shaped
pieces of metal that looks like the old one. Possibly cut out of another
frame someplace. Don't know about frame shops, but I think they'll want to be
able to get to the top of the frame to weld a new piece in.....

iii