Cheap fixes, was "is superglue conductive ?"

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Cheap fixes, was "is superglue conductive ?"
From: "DSTONE, 5-9521, BPR: 237-2322" <DSTONE@sc9.intel.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1991 12:11 PST
     Well, with regards to the previously mentioned starter
     fix with superglue, I don't know if superglue is
     conductive or not, but let the voice of experience tell
     you that JB weld is NOT.
          An old bug I used to work on once began eating generator
     brushes at an alarming rate. A quick peek at the
     armature showed that one of the many contacts that the
     brushes ride on had ventured out on it's own, leaving a
     nice little gap that would take little bites out of the
     brushes as it went around. The quick fix (or so I
     thought), was to fill in the gap w/JB weld, then sand
     it smooth. This I did, & all looked well. That is,
     until startup.
          It looked as if Satan himself was being exorcised
     from the inspection hole in the generator. Smoke &
     sparks galore, not to mention the sound of arcing
     electricity accompanied by the smell of burning JB
     weld. I came to the rapid conclusion that JB weld
     should not be used to mend VW generator armatures, &
     shut it down.
          I'm still a firm believer tho in the miraculous
     healing powers of JB weld on other things, such as
     crack in the side of a TH350, but that's another story-

          with JB weld in hand-
                               dstone@sc9.intel.com