Hot Coils and Cold Gas

To: phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Subject: Hot Coils and Cold Gas
From: sfisher@Pa.dec.com
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 91 14:34:50 PDT
Phil Ethier says:

>It is well-known in SAAB V-4 circles that a proper application of hammer
>to the starter motor can get you going.  Passengers that see this the first
>time react like those seeing the similar SU fool pump fix on a Britcar.

Which, after all, seems to be the problem on my green MGB.  I ran it for
most of an hour, sitting in the driveway or tooling up and down the
street, after cleaning all the contacts on the right (electrical) side
of the engine and making sure the wires were all on tight.  Then for no
apparent reason it sputtered to a halt yesterday and I got out, popped
hood and trunk.  I couldn't hear the pump ticking from the driver's seat,
nor could I with the trunk lid open.  The last clue was the clear filter,
which was dry as a California reservoir in August.  I bonked the trunk
in the prescribed location, and no dice.  So I got under the car and
slapped hell out of the fuel pump itself.  It went glogga-glogga-clickety-
clickety-click...click...click.... and I started the car and got home.

As Humphrey Bogart might have said, "S.U. fool pumps are simple.  I never
met one who didn't understand a slap in the mouth, or a slug from a .45."

I'm running a container of STP "Eats-Your-Lines" fuel filter cleaner
through the tank now in case the lines are just plugged from when I ran
the tank dry.  If that doesn't solve the problem I'll break the piggy
bank and buy a whole new fuel pump.  And yes, I'm thinking quite
seriously about that Facet up in the engine compartment, and replacing
the existing pump with a big filter.

--Scott