Re: PREVIOUS OWNER BASHING

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: PREVIOUS OWNER BASHING
From: robbp@pyrthoth.pyramid.com (Rob Pryor)
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 91 10:28:10 -0700
>   Once upon a time, Dave bought a E-type coupe.  He found that the frame had
>been cut between the motor mounts,

This sounds similar to what I found on the first Big Healey I bought.  The
firewall and footwells had been cut out, apparently to allow for a much larger
bellhousing (like maybe for a big V-8).  They had used a blow-torch to cut it
with.  They must have had a change of heart because next, they tack-welded and
pop-riveted the cut out pieces back in place, leaving gaps wide enough to
stick your hand through.

On this same car, I discovered a thrust washer sitting in the bottom of the
oil pan.  Turns out that this "running" engine had been assembled with the
rods mis-matched to the cylinders and I think the bearing caps were switched
around as well.  Since I wasn't sure what else I'd find and need to fix, this
particular engine is still a project.

Robb Pryor
HEALEYS FOREVER!