re: TR6 purchase, questions

To: flake@bellcore.columbiasc.ncr.com
Subject: re: TR6 purchase, questions
From: whs70@taichi.cc.bellcore.com (sohl,william h)
Date: 4 Oct 1991 12:13 EDT
RE: Joe Flake's TR-6
>All is not roses though.  While drivable, it needs some work of
>course, and I have a few questions -- as might be expected.
>Any help is appreciated.
>1)  Brakes - master cylinder
>    Car sat for about a year, and previous owner warned me of bad
>    seals in master cylinder.  Braking is interesting now!  My question
>    regards rebuild kits.  TRF's catalog says rebuild kits are
>    rather expensive and that the unit often doesn't respond well
>    to rebuilding.  The log with the car says a rebuild kit was
>    installed two owners back.  What do you think of trying another
>    kit vs a complete new master cylinder?  I'm sure the best analysis
>    would be to remove the current unit, and inspect it for (??) before
>    making that decision.  Complete unit certainly would be easier, but
>    at $100+ difference I'm willing to do a bit more work!

Given that the unit's been rebuilt at least once already, I'd
opt for a completely new unit.  If the old unit needs any
amount of work (sleeving, etc.) the $100 difference can go
quickly, plus the peace of mind of knowing the new unit is
A-OK is nice to have.  Odds are that once replaced, the amount of
use you put the car to will mean the new master-cylinder should
be good for many years of pleasant and safe driving.

>2)  U-Joints on axles
>    I read with casual interest the saga of changing U-joints posted
>    here a few weeks ago without thinking I'd have to tackle it myself
>    anytime soon.  Could someone who saved this please mail me a
>    copy?  Workshop manual makes it look simple enough, but any
>    helpful hints or gotchas would be great.  Should replacing the
>    rubber coverings be standard procedure (they appear to be in
>    pretty good shape)?

The next issue of "The Vintage Triumph" magazine will be including
a full (with photos) technical article on U-joint replacement.  See
my comment in response to item 3) below.

>3+) And on and on
>    But I'll save them for another time.

As the proud owner of a TR-6, let me suggest the value of joining
the Vintage Triumph Register (as well as a local Triumph club if
there's one near you.)  I've appended my standard blurb about VTR
after my 'sig' stuff.

>Thanks,
>Joe Flake, N4BGQ

There are several others of us LBC group that are also amateur
radio operators also.  Maybe we should try for a british car to
british car QSO?
(Non hams - QSO means a contact or interchange of information.)
Bill Sohl   (K2UNK)            ||  email
Bellcore, Morristown, NJ       ||   UUCP    bcr!taichi!whs70
(Bell Communications Research) ||    or
201-829-2879 Weekdays          || Internet  whs70@taichi.cc.bellcore.com
            What's VTR

The Vintage Triumph Register is the only
national club of Triumph
owners and enthusiasts (Over 4300
as of our last newsletter mailing) which
covers all models of Triumphs.
VTR regularly publishes a quarterly magazine,
"The Vintage Triumph."  In acknowledgement of
the sometimes longer than quarterly publication
frequency of the magazine, membership dues
covers the period of time it takes to receive
four (4) issues of the magazine and not simply a 12 month
annual membership.  Membership in VTR also provides
free classified advertising in the newsletter, access
to VTR's vehicle consultants, a discount book
service, and various VTR regalia.

VTR also has an annual convention, hosted by one of its local
chapters each year.  In 1992 the national convention
will be in Savannah, Georgia.
Prior convention locations have been: Ft. Mitchell, Kentucky (1991),
Boulder, CO (1990); Albany, NY (1989), Dallas, TX (1988);
Atlanta, GA (1987); Pittsburg, PA (1986); Troy, Michigan;
St. Charles, IL; Indianapolis, IN, etc.

Membership dues for VTR is:
  $20 for all USA zipcode addresses
  $25 (US Dollars) for Canada and Mexico
  $30 (US Dollars) anywhere else

To join the VTR, send name, address and dues to:
   VTR - New Membership
   PO Box 36477
   Grosse Pointe, MI 48236

        Please include details about your car when sending in
        new membership info.