Re: bugeyes

To: hiss@fionn.lbl.gov (Eric Hiss)
Subject: Re: bugeyes
From: phile@pwcs.StPaul.GOV (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 91 9:04:20 CDT
Eric Hiss writes >

>Are frogeyes and bugeyes the same car?

Yes.  Frogeye = British    Bugeye = American   Both refer to the original
Austin-Healey Sprite, later called the "Mark I" Sprite in retrospect.  The Mark
II Sprite and Mark I Midget were virtually identical cars which started the
"Spridget" series.  Spridgets differ from Bugeyes by having conventionally
opening boots and bonnets.  The restyled front end was by Healey and the new
rear was by MG.  Spridget taillights are the same as MGB (the Spridget was done
first, and influenced the MGB).

>does anyone know how fast they are (ie, a hell of a lot quicker than the mga
>I just sold, about the same, etc. )

Haven't seen your MGA.  Would guess that the MGA is faster down the straight.  A
set-up Bugeye on a tight autocross course would run away and hide from an MGA.
And damn near anything else.

>the thing to look for in terms of
>a real fast one, and not stock for collecting but for driving.

1275 engine, maybe with sidedraft Weber or single 1.75" SU.
Exhaust header, extra points for insulating tape.
Extra points for oversize valves and/or hot cam.
Disk brakes in front.
Good (not ADDCO) sway bars, both ends.  Extra points for heim joints.
Panhard rod.
Tube-shock conversion.  Extra points if it is Carrara with heim joints.
Really wild ones have been converted to coil-over suspension on both ends.
5.5" or 6" wide alloy wheels with sticky 185-60-13 tires.
Watch for rust on the rear spring mounts.

A Bugeye set up like this will amaze you.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN  55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105, w (612) 298-5324  phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov or uiucuxc!pwcs!phile
"The workingman's GT-40" - Colin Chapman

--
Login name: phile                       In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324