Re: Gaskets, etc.

To: angevine@badger.colorado.edu
Subject: Re: Gaskets, etc.
From: pwv@tc.fluke.com (Pat Vilbrandt)
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 91 09:44:58 PDT
Hello Wayne!

> About gaskets:  Is it better to use the NOS stuff from Nissan, or
> aftermarket?  I have the feeling that the old stuff gets kinda dry and
> brittle after 20 years.  On the other hand, aftermarket stuff may be NOS
> as well.
>
> Having a gasket in hand, do you use gasket sealer of some sort?  If so,
> what?  I tried Permatex #2 on the thermostat housing (previous leak) but
> I'm not sure it helped any.

For problem coolant leaks, I have actually had very good luck with the
Permatex "Form-a-gasket" stuff.  (There are 4 or 6 different kinds, I've
only used the blue stuff in the silver tube - I don't remember the particular
flavor ;-)  I even used it to seal up the heater in a hot tub (don't ask!)
that had been badly warped because it was left to freeze full of water
through the winter - worked great!  That was a couple years ago, and if it
has been able to stand up to the heat and chlorine, I think it will work
just as well on your water pump.  Oh - BTW the heater housing was alloy,
and the heater plate was steel.

   Pat Vilbrandt       John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.        Everett, Washington USA
UUCP: pwv@tc.fluke.COM  or: { uunet, uw-beaver, sun, microsoft }!fluke!pwv
ARPA: fluke!pwv@uw-beaver.ARPA