Re: Gaskets, etc.

To: british-cars@hoosier (SOL list)
Subject: Re: Gaskets, etc.
From: tj@alpine.b17a.ingr.com (T.J. Higgins)
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 91 8:03:58 CDT
Wayne Angevine writes:

> Well, after several weeks of relatively trouble-free driving, my Datsun
> 2000 roadster has developed a(nother) coolant leak.  This time it seems
> to be coming from the joint between the water pump and the block.  So,
> time for some sage advice from all you net.experts out there.

I also am interested in the answer to this question.  I just took the
water pump off the Alpine last night.  After installing the new
exhaust system a while back, all sorts of engine noises that were
previously drowned out could now be heard.  Demanding immediate
attention is the water pump.  Turns out that the impeller end of the
shaft has about 1/8-to-1/4 inch play.  This doesn't sound like much
until you put the fan and pulley on and see how close the fan comes to
the radiator.  It also makes for an interesting aural phenomenon, the
likes of which I can't recall hearing before.  Can you say $50 for a
new water pump?  :-(

> Waiting with bated breath,

Make that two,
T.J. Higgins    205-730-7922  |  higgins@ingr.com    (Internet)
Mapping Sciences Division     |  uunet!ingr!higgins  (uucp)
Intergraph Corp.  M/S IW17A6  Huntsville, Alabama, U.S.A.  35894-0001