RE>Re- Fiberglass firewall

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: RE>Re- Fiberglass firewall
From: Bob Tufts <Bob_Tufts.CES_TAC@eps_suns.pa.dec.com>
Date: 29 Aug 91 18:21:13
        Reply to:   RE>Re:  Fiberglass firewalls

>Can you say "wall of fire?"  The only thing I can think of worse than
>a wooden firewall is the twin gas tanks in the rear fenders of my
>Alpine.

Actually, think about this:  By the time a fire can burn through a 3/4" to 1"
plywood "firewall"  you had better be far gone!  Take a blow torch and try to
burn through same plywood.  See how long it takes!  There may be other items
like vent ducts of plastic that can sufficate you long before that.(even with
metal, which might transfer more heat!)

I think the term "firewall" is relative.  "Flash-fire" shield is probably
all that's really needed, and all that is of worth.  (how many minutes are you
gonna sit in a burning car?, will 3/16" metal really help?)  No matter what
it's made of, I'd wanna exit mighty quick!

-Bob T.