re: Unpleasant surprises, or How could I be so stupid?

To: ~b-c@bellcore.bellcore.com
Subject: re: Unpleasant surprises, or How could I be so stupid?
From: taichi!whs70@bellcore.bellcore.com (W. H. Sohl)
Date: 27 Aug 1991 11:29 EDT
>Last weekend while doing some rear suspension work on my recently acquired
>TR4A IRS, I made a depressing discovery.  The frame appears to made up of two
>donor frames welded together!  After kicking myself soundly for not being
>more careful before the purchase, I am now wondering what to do.  The welds
>are about six inches forward of the plates in the center of the frame that
>the drive shaft and exhaust pipe go through just before reaching the diff.
>Whoever did the work seems to have done a pretty good job of getting things
>lined up and the welds look solid.  None the less, I am worried about the
>strength of the frame.  My question to you is:  What are my options.
>
>This is what I've come up with:
>       1)  Forget about it.  I have been driving it and didn't note any odd
>           behavior etc... so it must be ok.
>       2)  Reinforce the welds with plates welded to the sides of the frame
>           members around the welds.
>       3)  Junk this frame and try to find another.

Frames have been welded/repaired by many shops after often
massive damage.  What you really need to know is: How good
is the welded frame on your car.  Therefore, I'd try and
find a good shop to have the frame/welding work
examined.  Depending on what you learn you can then
(1) Forget about it if it is deemed safe, (2) If not
deemed safe, ask about having the welds properly done
and/or reinforced or (3) if deemed unsafe AND not
properly repairable to a safe condition, then you will
need to look into another frame.

As to the IRS frames used on TR-4A/250 and 6, they can all
be used on any of those cars.  There are some minor
differneces, but all the major elements of shape and
body attachment, etc. are the same.  The Roadster Factory
has been looking into reproduction of a single IRS frame
for the 4A/250 & 6.