Unpleasant surprises, or How could I be so stupid?

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Unpleasant surprises, or How could I be so stupid?
From: spit@neuro.duke.edu (Michael D. Burdick)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 91 10:41:43 EDT
Last weekend while doing some rear suspension work on my recently acquired
TR4A IRS, I made a depressing discovery.  The frame appears to made up of two
donor frames welded together!  After kicking myself soundly for not being
more careful before the purchase, I am now wondering what to do.  The welds
are about six inches forward of the plates in the center of the frame that
the drive shaft and exhaust pipe go through just before reaching the diff.
Whoever did the work seems to have done a pretty good job of getting things
lined up and the welds look solid.  None the less, I am worried about the
strength of the frame.  My question to you is:  What are my options.

This is what I've come up with:

        1)  Forget about it.  I have been driving it and didn't note any odd
            behavior etc... so it must be ok.

        2)  Reinforce the welds with plates welded to the sides of the frame
            members around the welds.

        3)  Junk this frame and try to find another.

3) would obviously be the best option but I fear it would be very hard (and
expensive) to find a new frame.  I do know where to get a TR 250/early TR6
frame.  Are these the same (or even close) to the TR4A frame?

2) would be less expensive than 3) but would probably reduce the value of the
car at the least.

1) is really not an option, is it?

What should I do?  Is 2) sufficient?  I would like to do 3), especially if I
could use the TR6 frame.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Mike "live and learn" Burdick
spit@neuro.duke.edu