Re: Morris 1500 into a mini

To: british-cars%encore.com@munnari.oz.au
Subject: Re: Morris 1500 into a mini
From: s883351@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (John Taylor [The Banshee])
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 91 14:25:14 +1000
>Did the Austin/Morris 1500 have a B series engine?
>The MG1100/1300 were very similiar to the Mini bud had a wider wheelbase,
>therefore different subframes and axle shafts and longer lower control arms,
>the two 1100's I saw (one MG and one Austin) had disc brakes in the front and
>1/4" wider drums in the rear, and hydroelastic suspension. The MG1100 has a
>very good flowing head and dual carbs (1 1/4"), so it makes a good doner for
>a wimpy Mini (what I did with mine).
>I don't believe Leyland (MG/Austin?) made a 5 speed gearbox.

As far as I know, the 1500 was sort of related to the A-series, but it's got
an OHC.  The Morris 1500 itself is basically a 1100/1300 with the different
engine, and it does have a 5-speed box.  I think it may be an Australian only
model (like the 13" wheeled Moke).  I suspected that the track was wider, but
I was hoping that the diff or just the shafts could be swapped for Mini-type
applications.  I know of one 1500 Mini customized vehicle - it was in an
Australian Mini book, but only a picture and two-line caption.
I've had a look for a 1500 workshop manual - but no luck :-(

|   John Taylor  [The Banshee]   |   Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology  |
|  s883351@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au  |       (Department of Applied Physics)      |
|   MOKING IS A HEALTH HAZARD.   |        Melbourne, Victoria, AUSTRALIA      |