Re: SCCA car classes (was Lime Rock)

To: sfisher@Pa.dec.com
Subject: Re: SCCA car classes (was Lime Rock)
From: phile%pwcs@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 91 12:43:13 CDT
Scott Fisher writes >

>In the Good Old Days, the Sports Car Club of America used to run
>essentially four categories of closed-wheel cars.
>Sedans
>Production sports cars
>Sports-Racing
>Modified

I don't believe SCCA ever had Sports-Racing and Modified roadracing classes at
the same time.  Somewhere in the sixties, the Modified category was changed to
Sports-Racing.

>A -- the largest and most powerful -- to H -- the smallest and lightest.

Yes, that was the setup in Production.  There was no A or B Modifieds.  The
Chevette (no kidding), Echidna and other V-8 monsters were CM.  The 850cc
outboard motor or SAAB specials were HM.  I do not know if they used all the
letters in between "C" and "H" for Modified.  The newspapers always wanted the
report on the fastest cars.  When told about the CM race, they would ask,"How
did the A Modified race go?".  This was one of the reasons they changed to the
Sports Racing.  It was also a recognition that more and more people were
building cars from scratch rather than stuffing big engines into MGTDs.  The
Chevette, Echidna and other V-8 monsters joined the Lola- and McLaren-Chevs in
ASR and the 850cc outboard motor or SAAB specials joined the upcoming Quasar,
NTM, and other purpose-built cars in DSR.

>the SCCA ... introduced the Grand Touring (GT) category, replacing the old
>modifieds.

They had been gone for over a decade.

>Sports Racer classes are still essentially open classes, with only
>displacement and weight limits to define performance.

Used to be just displacement.  No weight requirements some of the D S/R cars
became truly tiny.  The PBS coupe was the most astonishingly small closed
2-seater I have ever seen.  Should have kept it that way.

>I know of only four classes in Sports Racer, A through D.

Yep, that's all there ever were.

>In many cases, Sports Racing cars use formula car chassis with closed-fender
>bodywork.

I think this sucks big time.  They should have kept the two-seater rule.  What
the hell fun is a car you can't give rides in?

>DSR (using either a 1300cc automobile engine or a 1000cc motorcycle engine,

The limit was 850cc.  Are you sure it still isn't?  Are you telling me they now
allow 1300cc four-strokes or 1000cc two-strokes?  Jeez, the SCCA can screw
anything up, given half a chance.

>are quick as hell and fun to look at.

I love 'em.  Always wanted one for autocross/street.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN  55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105, w (612) 298-5324  phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov or uiucuxc!pwcs!phile
"The workingman's GT-40" - Colin Chapman

--
Login name: phile                       In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324