MGB Engine Rebuild Advice Wanted

To: british-cars-local@wsl.dec.com
Subject: MGB Engine Rebuild Advice Wanted
From: dambrose%pan@dri.com (David Ambrose)
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 90 20:06:18 PST

        Howdy Y'all,

        Whew,  just when I thought I'd have to go this alone. . .

        I'm getting ready to rebuild the engine in my '69 MGB-GT.  The cam is
shot for sure.  I'm presuming that the lifters are probably gone too.
Nothing else is giving any indication of problems.

        I have to commute longish distances in this car and I'd like to
incorporate reasonable improvements to enhance reliability and performance.

        Since the cam is being replaced anyway,  should I consider an
enhanced performance camshaft?  I've had one report that the Iskederian (sp?)
mild performance cam is very good.  British Motorsports offers a high-lift
cam which they recommend highly.  Anyone actually drive a car with one of
these in it or have some first-hand knowlege of them?

        Is it really worth rebuilding the block yourself?  I have rebuilt a B
engine before and I'm a little hesitant to entrust my engine to an unknown
machine shop.  However, I will likely have to have some stuff done so I could
use the name of a trustworthy machine shop in the San Jose, Santa Cruz, or
preferrably, in the Salinas area.

        Are there any books out there similar to David Vizard's "Tuning the A
Series Engines"  except oriented toward the B series engine?

        If I have enough money left over,  I'm contemplating upgrading the
header/exaust manifold.  Again,  any suggestions?

        Thanks in advance for any advice.

        Keep the rubber side down,
        Dave Ambrose