misc. & a question or two

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: misc. & a question or two
From: Roland Dudley <mit-eddie!dtc.hp.com!cobra@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 90 09:10:44 pdt
From: Roger Garnett

>On Buffing:

>Yea. When I rebuild things, I clean up the hardware with a bench mounted
>wire wheel, which makes them work good again, and can give a nice shine on
>steel parts, as well as rough Al. (Alternator, Manifold, etc.) The problem
>here is many of the steel parts originaly had (or should have had) a
>bit of protective coating. (Zinc, or that yellowish stuff.) A lot of this
>stuff looks nice polished, and really doesn't want to be color painted.
>But there must be something better than letting them rust again. Some
>kind of dip treatment for steel parts? Any Ideas?

One question and a comment:

I notice that some of the innards of my brake and clutch cylinders have a
black coating on them.  Is this some kind of special paint or just a
reaction of the metal to the brake fluid?

I have a couple more articles from the Shelby American (which I plan to
transcribe and make available one of these days) that address the
subject of metal prep both for mechanical pieces and body sheet metal.
I recall nickel plating being one way to preserve components, nuts,
bolts, et cetera.  Another suggestion was gun bluing or blacking.  This
coating itself doesn't prevent rust or corrosion but oil really adheres
to it.  I suppose that's why it's used on guns.  Maybe gun oil would be
the oil of choice to put on it.

>Wires can be more flat prone, as there is more flex, and the ends of
>the spokes can rub against the inner tube. Always make sure the
>liner band or tape between the tube and rim is in good shape. Loose
>spokes can really do a number on your tubes.

Roger (or anyone else who cares to comment), while checking out a local
wire wheel place (Zenith Wire Wheel in Campbell), I noticed that the liners
on some wheels were replaced by a thickish clear coat of something that
looked like silicone sealer.  Is this how wire wheels are converted to
tubeless?  Is tubeless the way to go with wire wheels?  The tubes on my
wire wheels seem to hold air forever.

And from TeriAnn:

>Jerry, Could you please forward me any references to do it yourself nickle pla

>plating?? Which companies provide supplies?

>Thanks,

Me too.  Better yet, post it.

Roland Dudley
cobra@hpcilsn.HP.COM