GREAT OIL DEBATE

To: BRITISH-CARS <@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk:BRITISH-CARS@alliant.com>
Subject: GREAT OIL DEBATE
From: mit-eddie!cr83.staffordshire-polytechnic.ac.uk!CSTMJS@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 90 10:28 GMT
I too, have a small contribution to this.  I agree with Scott that,
particularlyin a highly tuned engine Mobil 1 is the stuff.  I have used it in
the Dutton
since its current engine was run-in(3 years) and when you look down the filler
cap, the rockers etc look clean and shiney; not bad on a UK Ford.

Another experience confirmed this view.  I was driving along a dual-carriageway
at about 85 when something struck the underside of the car. Two miles further
on I met a large stationary queue of traffic, whereupon a large cloud of steam
emmanated from under the car.  On investigation: two bolts bashed off the water
pump and NO water!  A replacement pump was fitted and: NO nasty noises, no
compression lost, no problem!  I attribute this luck to the use of Mobil 1
and competition bearings.

Mark Stiles