morals vs. money (HELP ME!)

To: ames!sgi!alliant!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: morals vs. money (HELP ME!)
From: <sgi!ames.arc.nasa.gov!ames!rutgers!beaver.cs.washington.edu!microsoft!timke@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue Aug 21 19:43:20 1990
i've been trying (unsuccessfully) to sell my '70 tr6 for about a month
now :(.  i have gotten almost zero responses, even though i put an ad
in one of them fancy shmancy photo-ad type things.  well, a guy came out
sunday and seemed very interested and said he'd call me back.  he called
back yesterday and offerred $800 below my asking price of $4600.  i'm
not that desperate for the money, so i said no.  well, he just called me
back and said he'd pay the full price.  normally this would make me a
happy person, except for the fact that he's one of those scum-sucking
export leeches that's gonna take the car to europe and sell it for a
profit.  i know that there are less and less LBC's on the road in this
country because of this phenom, but i really don't know whether it's a
big enough problem to stop me from selling it to him.  And since this was
my first car and i kinda cut my teeth (not to mention several knuckes ;)
on it, i was hoping to sell it to someone who would appreciate it as much
as i did.  but the money sounds good.  but he's a leech.  but the money
sounds good.  AUUUUUGHHHH!!!

right now the money is trying to overwhelm the part of my conscience that
says "don't do it, you'll regret it later."  have any of you ever sold a
car knowing that it would leave the u.s.?  did you have massive guilt later?
am i overreacting?

tim
aka {uunet|uw-beaver|decwrl}!microsoft!timke