seat belt specs

To: kent@wsl.dec.com, british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: seat belt specs
From: richard welty <mit-eddie!lewis.crd.ge.com!welty@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 90 14:42 EDT
    From: kent@wsl.dec.com

    Sarah comes equipped with eyebolts to mount clip-style lap seat belts.
    I want to add some sort of 3-point, and would like to use the original
    eyes. Most of the belts I've found have plates that want to be bolted down.

have you considered braking down and installing a 5-point system?
you could use the original eyebolts, and just install 2 or 3 new
ones, one below the seat for the anti-sub strap, and one or two
behind for the shoulder harnesses.  total cost should be in the
vicinity of, let's see, $20 for a clip-in anti-sub strap; $55
for a clip-in lap belt; and $55 for shoulder harnesses (i have all
these numbers handy  because i just put Simpson 5-points in my Alfa
Milano.)  you would also want to spend a little money to get padding
for the shoulder harnesses; i find that my shoulders get sore
otherwise.

    It occurred to me to use climbing gear, specifically some sort of
    locking carabiner, to attach the plates to the eyes.

depending on how the belts are constructed, this may not be necessary.
are the belts sown around the plates, or may they be detached?
simpson makes an eyebolt conversion kit for $14 which includes the
eyebolts (you already have these) and the clip-in plates which
replace the original bolt-in plates; these work for either 2" or 3"
belts.

richard