Simca & Drophead

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Simca & Drophead
From: Roland Dudley <mit-eddie!dtc.hp.com!cobra@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 90 11:46:59 pdt
From: Dale C. Cook

>All this talk about old Rootes Group cars has got me wondering.
>I too almost bought a Sunbeam as my first "sports" car, but I
>got sold instead a French car (horrors!)  It was a Simca (Ociane?)
>It had a hand-made (Facilia) body, reclining seats and a really
>gutless engine.  Mine was black (Fleur Noir) and very pretty.
>Also more unreliable than anything British, if you can believe
>that.  I really enjoyed it as my Stanford car and used it to
>get to and fro between L.A., where I lived, and Palo Alto,
>where I *lived*!  :-)  Does anyone on the list remember this
>car?  There can't have been many imported.

Actually the Simca was orders of magnitude more reliable than one
another French import of that period.  I refer, of course, to the
Renault Dauphin (spell ?).  This particular gem convinced me forever
that under no circumstance would I ever own a French car.  Fortunately
is was a friend and not me who suffered putting up with this junk heap.
No doubt this is an unfair attitude to have relative to current French
cars but I have a long memory.

Someone commented that they thought the Singer was a drophead and not a
roadster.  I believe that's correct.  I tend to lump anything with side
curtains into the roaster category.  And yes, it did resemble a Sunbeam
Talbot.  More so than a MG TD.  BTW, my TD was a drophead too.  I loved
the way the top attached to the car.  Carpet tacks.  How else?

Roland Dudley
cobra@hpcilan.hp.com