Re: Jensen Healey Motor

To: uiucuxc!wsl.dec.com!sfisher@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: Jensen Healey Motor
From: uunet!pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 90 8:36:39 CDT
> The Healeys originally wanted to use the 3-liter
> Ford V6 (the Cologne motor) but Kjell Qvale, who

This is the V6 that grew out of the "SAAB" V4 which came from the
Taunus which was designed for the Cardinal which Ford had planned to
introduce in 1960 as an American front-drive sedan but chickened out
and built the (ugh) Furd Fowlcar instead, and was the same engine used
in the original Mustang I show car which was mid-engined and wound up
eventually as a camera car for the John Frankenheimer film GRAND PRIX.
I wanted to see how much of this twisted story I could get into one
ungrammatical run-on sentence.  Kjell Qvale was also behind the V4
SAAB invasions of the Baja off-road races.  Interesting that he
supported SAAB in competition with the V4, but did not consider the V6
version good enough for Lotus.

> was funding the project, insisted on the then-new
> Lotus engine to give the J-H some panache.  It wasn't
> too well-suited to the initial gearbox, a Sunbeam 4-spd,
> but the Getrag 5-speed that replaced it in mid-1974
> was better suited to this powerful but peaky motor.
>
> This is all covered, BTW, in "More Healeys: Frogeyes,
> Sprites, and Midgets," an excellent book for someone
> with at least as many Spridgets as I have Bs.

This was written by Geoff Healey, right?  I hav eto get that one some
day.

--
Login name: phile        In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324