Re: Jensen Healey Motor

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Jensen Healey Motor
From: mit-eddie!wsl.dec.com!sfisher@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 90 11:50:32 PDT
Larry Colen talks about the powerplant in the Jensen-
Healy.

J-Hs used the Lotus Type 907 motor, the one that's
currently been pumped up for use in the Esprit Turbo
that's been making mincemeat of the 'Vettes lately.

The Healeys originally wanted to use the 3-liter
Ford V6 (the Cologne motor) but Kjell Qvale, who
was funding the project, insisted on the then-new
Lotus engine to give the J-H some panache.  It wasn't
too well-suited to the initial gearbox, a Sunbeam 4-spd,
but the Getrag 5-speed that replaced it in mid-1974
was better suited to this powerful but peaky motor.

This is all covered, BTW, in "More Healeys: Frogeyes,
Sprites, and Midgets," an excellent book for someone
with at least as many Spridgets as I have Bs.

--Scott "Or is it possible I have a Healey book LRC doesn't???" Fisher