Re: TR4A vs TR250

To: Teriann J. Wakeman <twakeman@apple.com>
Subject: Re: TR4A vs TR250
From: mit-eddie!wsl.dec.com!kent@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 90 14:38:10 PDT
Teriann,

Why are you sending mail to british-cars-local@decwrl? That only gets
to the left coast. Was that intentional?

I own a 4A, so I'm biased. Remember that as you read this :-)

As far as I know, the 4A and 250 have the same frame and suspension,
and much the same body. The added power of the 6 was lost to the added
weight. The numbers:

                        4A                      250
Torque          132 lb-ft @ 3000        143 lb-ft @ 3000
HP              104 bhp @ 4700          104 bhp @ 4500
Unladen Weight  2240                    2268
Price in pounds 800                     985

The 4A came with skinnier tyres (6.95-15, 165r70-15 to you and me) on
4.5" rims, than the 250 (185SR-15) on 5" rims, but we know how to fix that.

The heater and such are the same in both models, are quite different
from the 3 -- very effective, at least for California (tends to roast
my feet). Just remember to open the scuttle vent. The fresh air vents
in the dash are nice, too.

The 250's interior and dash are somewhat more "modern" -- black bezels,
hazard switch, some additional safety concerns -- but basically the
same. Oh yes, the ash tray moved from the dash face to the top.

I think the only smog on the 250 is a PCV valve. There's one on the 4A, too.

250s seem to be considered more desirable amongst most TR afficionados
(I'd like one, too :-), but the 4As seem to be worth slightly more,
even though more were produced.

The good thing about them is that they can reuse suspension parts from
the vast majority of 6s that are out there!

chris