my clutch; life in Mass.

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: my clutch; life in Mass.
From: mit-eddie!cgl.ucsf.EDU!gregoret@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 90 17:23:03 PDT
Well, I promised I'd keep you posted on the saga of the clutch problem
in our '66 MGB.  As you may recall, a few weeks back I posted a
question asking what might be wrong with our clutch -- it was difficult
to get the car into gear and the clutch pedal vibrated sometimes.

Having bled the hydraulics several times with no luck, we took the car
back to the shop which installed the transmission and clutch back in
October.  Despite our best efforts, it seems we bled the hydraulics
properly ;) and the problem was with the throw-out bearing which,
according to the mechanic, "came loose."  Clutch plate, disk and
bearing all had to be replaced.  Luckily, it was all under warranty and
hopefully, it will last this time.  (BTW, we ALWAYS put the car in
neutral at stops and NEVER downshift brutally.) There was a tire shop
two doors down so we got our flat patched and got all wheels balanced
in the meantime (though we still can't get into the trunk!)

Now, regarding Massachusetts, who are all you "silicon valley east"
people gonna vote for for governor :)  :)  :) ?

Lydia Gregoret
Boston University Class of '86