Driveline Roughness

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM (TR Group)
Subject: Driveline Roughness
From: Larry Gillam <mit-eddie!hpfcpe.fc.hp.com!gillam@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 90 14:46:59 MDT

        My '72 TR6 starts to show an annoying roughness when the drive
        line is "unloaded"(the point at which you're neither accelerating or
        decelerating)at around 65 mph. The roughness is there at all
        speeds above 65, but worse when the driveline is unloaded. All
        the U-joints in the rear have been replaced and I plan to replace
        the two drive shaft joints soon. My question comes after reading
        the drive shaft section in the Haynes manual. It talks about
        marking the U-joint flanges so as not to disturb the "carefully
        balanced" drive shaft. Is this to be believed? If this IS critical
        how do I know some previous owner hasn't unknowingly installed it
        improperly. What is the proper way of removing and replacing the
        drive shaft?

                                                Thanks.....Larry