TR8 speedo jumping

To: british-cars%alliant.com@eddie.mit.edu
Subject: TR8 speedo jumping
From: mit-eddie!emx.utexas.edu!jatc@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (James TenCate)
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 90 08:30:04 -0500
Perhaps this is a rather mundane question but... My TR8's speedo is really
jumpy below 30mph (bad news when I drive in a school zone).  Since I've
recently replaced the speedo (85 mph to 140 mph), I know the speedo is not the
problem.  I have one of those service interval counters so my speedo cable
is really two cables.

Question:  What do british car folks use to lubricate speedo cables?  My
old mechanic friend recommends Tri-Flow (that Teflon lube) but I'm not
so pleased with the results.  Graphite?  Help!  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
jim

jatc@emx.utexas.edu