RE: Over heating #2121

To: <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Over heating #2121
From: "Breton48" <breton48@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 14:58:10 -0700
John,

Thanks.... and to answer your questions:

1. What was the temp gauge reading?

I stopped everytime the gauge reading reached 250. The last time I stopped,
it went past that and the water boiled.

2. Has the fan clutch been replaced?

No, but it has been tested and the tech said it's working fine. I also have
an electric fan in front of the radiator, and it was on all the time
yesterday.

3. Is there a shroud around the fan?

Yes

4. Have you replaced the radiator cap?

Yes.

5. Do you have the hood seal on across the plenumn between the 2 wiper
    xmissions?

Yes.

6. Did you try to turn on the heater when you were driving and it was over
     heating?  While not something you really want to do on a 100+ day, this
     will usually help to cool it down.

No - as the windows cannot be opened yet (sealant still curing, the tech
told me not to open the windows), and with temps over 100 degrees outside, I
was  very miserable inside the car and besides the stops I had to make for
the overheating car,  I also had to stop for me to cool off! the best I felt
I could do was to turn off the air conditioning. I actually thought of
calling a tow truck!

A couple of thoughts:

a.  Terry Tanner has a new front scoop that supposedly helps cools down the
      engine.  Don't know how much they cost but that might be worth the
      investment.  (Anybody got on on their car?  Has it helped?)

I'll check, but I am a little apprehensive as I have seen some of Tanner's
prices, and they always seem more than I would be willing to pay.

b.  If this becomes a presistant problem, you ou might want to try sticking
an
     additional radiator (made a heater core from any vechile) on the
system.
     You might want to T into the heater hoses and put an additional manual
      valve in so you can cut this additional heater in and out
depending on the
      outside temp.

I already have a new high efficiency recored radiator - I think it's as big
as the tech thought he could fit in there. I'll check to see if the new
radiator is blocked though - there was a lot of grime in the engine. The
cooling system was flushed before fitting the new radiator, but there might
have been enough muck left to plug the new radiator.

I also checked for bubbles in the system - none, so there are no gases
leaking in there.

JLC in San Diego